Friday, July 11, 2008

We're Paperwork Ready to Come Home!

It looks like everything has worked out and we have a happy ending. I went to the Canadian Embassy this morning with the new passport in hand (our facilitator got back in time) and returned this afternoon and picked up Romans Visa. The lady I was dealing with came out and said she had a surprise for me. My heart just dropped. I said I hope it is a good one. She said that just after I left this morning from the embassy, someone came and turned in Roman`s original passport and photos. They found them on the street. I asked her where they found them but she wasn`t sure. At least I know it wasn`t right in front of the embassy which is the only place that I was. Anyway, we now have 2 passports but only one is good to use. Yahoo!
To back track a little, yesterday was cold and rainy here. We needed to get some food from the market so we didn`t want to drag Sydney and Roman out in the rain. Dan and I asked Sydney if she thought she could handle him for 15 minutes and she said no problem, he had actually been pretty well behaved yesterday. I had a feeling it wasn`t that great of an idea but we went anyway. Well when we got home 15 or 20 minutes later, we could tell by the look on Sydney`s face that it didn`t go all that well. Roman was trying to run away from her and ran across the front of the bed and somehow got caught up in the sheers and brought the whole thing down, rod and all. So now we have replaced a phone and have to replace parts for the curtain rod... hopefully, that is where it will end. So this morning, on the way to get more pictures taken for the embassy, I told `Y` about the curtains and she spoke to Roman for about 5 minutes after that. Well, when he was getting his picture taken he looked pretty sad. `Y` said `He definitely has something on him mind, I just gave him heck for the curtain incident.``Well you should see the picture, it is pretty funny because he was one sad looking little boy. I don`t know what she said to him but he was pretty darn good for the rest of day. I brought him back to the apartment to stay with Dan and Sydney before going to the Embassy and he was on the toilet and when he saw that I was leaving he jumped off, gave me a kiss goodbye and went back to finish his duties. These are the moments that keep you going.
We went on the metro for the first time today. It was actually pretty good except when we decided to come home, we took the wrong one and ended up on the other side of the river. We got off at a stop and backtracked to where we started. We eventually found the right one and got home safely.
Tomorrow is Sydney`s birthday so we are going to do our best to make it special for her. She is pretty homesick so we told her we would still do something tomorrow but really celebrate her birthday when we get home. She really misses everyone and so do we. We are so grateful for all of the support we have had and continue to have on our journey. The last few days have been quite stressful but knowing that we can come home soon and have many family and friends to be with makes it easier.
Not being able to read the labels on food continues to be a problem. We were trying to buy perogies and wanted potato ones. We finally decided on package and made them for supper. Sydney actually ate one, Roman wouldn`t eat his and Dan just about spit it out when he tasted it. He thinks it was liver at best but probably something worse than that. Thankfully I hadn`t gotten around to trying it yet. This label thing makes for a great weight loss plan! (This was the food we were buying while Roman was destroying the curtains.)
Oh yeah, we will try to post some pictures in the next day or two. Sorry for the wait.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Oh, my goodness! Does this post ever bring back memories!! We adopted two boys last summer and had our bio daughter with us on our trip as well. My older son ran away all the time in Ukraine (it stopped almost immediately after we got home) and they both broke about half the toys that were in our flat in Kiev. It is one that alot of adoptive families use and just leave stuff for the next people at. But, we still had to replace all of them. Oh, I'm certain they were happy to see us go!! We were glad to see us go as well because it meant we were finally heading home!!

I've really enjoyed following your journey. Please keep blogging after you get home!

Anonymous said...

Lorrie, thank God you have the patience of Job. I can't imagine how poor Syd felt while you were gone in that short time. Her first babysitting job - she must have been nervous. Alas, all turned out okay. Glad to hear things are rolling along. We can't wait to see you!

Kevin and Tammy said...

Great news. So glad you are ready to come home. I know you will be ready to get home and get settled in with your new son.

Tammy

ArtworkByRuth said...

You get used to the liver taste after a while. Don't forget to have "Y" prep Roman for the flight home. My friend warned our son that if he squealed, screamed or threw a fit all the passengers would wet their pants... It worked!