Tuesday, July 1, 2008

7 Days and Counting!

We have 7 more days left in our 10 day wait. It actually is 11 days but I guess we just go by what the judge says. July 8 is the day we can pick up "R" and we are really looking forward to that. The visits are going well. He is learning to count, the alphabet and a few other easy English words. Of course, we have to make time for play also. We aren't chasing him around the playground as often as before so progress is being made :) We look forward to spending that time with him everyday and it gets harder to say goodbye at the end of each visit. The hugs are the best part of the day.

We will need to do some souvenier shopping soon but we haven't found the little booths with all of the authentic Ukraine souvenier items like we saw in Kiev. We must just be in the wrong area. We may have to power shop once we get back to Kiev.

We mastered another shopping trip at the supermarket and got through it without anyone yelling... in fact I think we may have gotten a half smile! We might even get mistaken for locals (minus the stilettos and the mini skirt for me!!) From time to time, while we are walking, someone will say something to me in Russian and if they laugh, so do I. I really don't know what they are saying but I just go along with it.

One thing we have noticed here is that almost nobody wears prescription glasses. I don't know if everyone has really good eyesight, can't see well at all or everyone wears contacts. I bet you we have only seen 6 people total between Kiev and Donetsk with glasses. I don't know if I mentioned this before but a lot of people smoke here. There are cigarette butts all over the place. Littering is a huge issue here but you do see someone at the end of the day with the old "twig" broom (for lack of anything better to call it) sweeping up the mess. Another thing that has been great is that there has been fireworks right outside our window on several occasions. We are on the 9th floor so we have perfect seating!

Other than that, not much is new here. We are anxious to get home and are trying to confirm the actual date. The weather here has cooled down a bit and it has rained on and off for the last couple of days. It is a nice change as long as it doesn't last for the rest of our stay.

We haven't done a lot of touristy things here in Donetsk. For whatever reason, we are pretty tired at the end of the day and usually don't venture out after supper. We have 2 visits with Roman each day and do a bit of cleaning, laundry and picking up items for the apartment. The days actually go by pretty quick.

Sorry we haven't posted any pictures, the internet place we use in not that user friendly and you know me, I am no that up on technology. I will add pictures after that fact if that makes any sense.

Well that's it for now.

8 comments:

Zack, Jenn and William said...

We had no luck with souvenir shopping in Mariupol, so we did it when we got back to Kyiv. We went for physical & embassy visit in the morning, then went back to the street near the SDA with all the cool booths. Most will negotiate on prices with you, and most speak at least a little bit of English.

Can't wait to see pics - gotta get to that when you're back in Kyiv :)

Kathy and Matt said...

Hang in there as you count down the waiting period. It will be over soon, but I remember how much I wanted to be home by that time, so I sympathize with you.

Can't wait to see photos!

Angie Tate said...

CONGRATULATIONS to you all. We welcomed our new son one June 16th, so I am just catching up on your blog postings now. You and "R" and in my prayers. And HAPPY CANADA DAY!!! ;)

Angie Tate

adopting2fromUkraine said...

That's one thing I noticed also, that very few people wore glasses. Maybe I noticed because I have worn them most of my life. There was one worker at the orphanage that wore extremely thick glasses. I think they just don't go to the eye doctor.

June

Terry, Tara and Emma said...

Hi Lorrie!
Sorry we didn't have a chance to hook up while we in Donetsk. I just recently got your email about our phone # being incorrect...sorry about that. The time here went faster than we thought. So happy to hear that everything is official for you and that you will be going home soon. Take care!
Tara

Unknown said...

Glad to hear things are going so well for you. We are looking forward to seeing you once you get back home. Try getting to a souvenier bazaar before you get back to Kiev. It gets more expensive the closer you get to Kiev. No matter what bazaar you get to, they always barter. I communicated via a calculater or just writing numbers on the plam of my hand. In the Kiev market many of the merchants can speak English as well as a few other languages, they just don't always let you know that off the start. Most Canadians are embarrased to barter. Don't be afraid to walk away if they don't come to your price. Chances are the same item is just a few meters away at another table.

Its hot here now, so maybe its a good thing you are still 1 week from home.

Can't wait to see all the pictures. As I read all the comments it makes me miss Ukraine so much. I didn't realize how many people are adopting from Ukraine. May God bless each and every one of them.

leean said...

Congratulations guys. Syd thanks for the picture, your new little brother is such a cutie, and we can't wait to meet him when you all get back.

I had a few tears when I read the last couple of posts (we were without computure for the last several days) looking forward to seeing you all when you get home.
Congratulations again.

Unknown said...

HI Lorrie
I am so happy that things are going well for you! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Take care!
karen