Friday, June 27, 2008

He's Our Boy!




Well, we went to court this morning and everything went really well. We were suppose to go in at 10:30 a.m. but the orphange director and inspector were there for another hearing, so the judge moved us up. We went in about 9:30 and we were done by 10:05 a.m. The judge just kept saying this was going to be very quick and it was. They first asked to see pictures of "R" and when the judge saw him, she realized she was the same judge to terminate his biological mother's rights. How is that for coincidence. Both Dan and I were asked about 3 or 4 questions and that was about it. We were nervous for nothing but of course there were a few tears when they read the ruling (no, not Dan...me!:) . The judge congratulated us and that was it. We are now beginning our 10 day wait which means we can leave Donetsk on July 8. If all goes well, we may be on a plane for home on July 11.

In one of my earlier posts, I talked about the number 12 being a good omen for us. When we were looking through our dossier last night, we realized that the date last March when we found out that our dossier would not be submitted because of the quota for Canada being met, was March 12. At the time I thought I would never forget that date but actually did. That was the beginning of the number 12 for us. "R" entered the orphange on March 14 and like I said in an earlier post, we were the first family to see his file. God had a plan, we just didn't know what it was at the time. We are now counting our blessings which include Sydney and "R" (not sure if I can use his name yet).

We had a tour of the orphanage this morning and it is a really nice place. "R" is lucky to have had this for his home for the past 15 months.

For anyone who will be going to court, I wouldn't worry too much about what to wear. At least in our case, it was pretty casual. The blouse I brought to wear to court ended up being locked in the washing machine!! I went to do a load of laundry the day before yesterday and the door of the machine wouldn't close completely or open at all. So, our clothes are being held captive. Our landlady said we should try to open it ourselves, which of course we did for about 45 minutes before calling. Anyway, I had a bit of a dressy t-shirt that matched the skirt I had and our facilitator said it was just fine. Dan wore dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie and Syd wore a dress. The prosecutor was in jeans, so I knew we didn't need to worry to much.

I also keep forgetting to mention this to anyone travelling; bring both a Ukrainian and Russian phrase book with phonetic pronunciations. We couldn't find a Russian one so it has been a bit of a struggle. We do have a phrase book that was created specifically for adoption which helps but it is limited.

That's all for now.

16 comments:

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Congrats, Mom & Dad! Hope your 10 days goes by quickly so you can get your family home soon.

The Flying Eagle said...

Congrats!!!! How wonderful :-)

Kevin and Tammy said...

Congratulations. I know you are relieved that this is done. Now onto the next steps. Enjoy you time as you will soon be heading back to the US. Again congratulations.

Unknown said...

wow!!! great post to read today!

now, about the 10 day thing - isn't there an additional 10 day wait for passports or is that not the case anymore? I can't believe how fast your journey is going, that is VERY encouraging to read! :)

thanks so much for sharing all this with us...

Unknown said...

I am so happy for all of you. Everything you went through last year can now be put behind you and you know how we say everything happens for a reason, well now we know the reason; a little boy that you will soon be bringing home.

Congrats. Love Rae

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Congratulations! Isn't it amazing how after we know that God had a plan all along, we wished we had just trusted in Him more from the beginning?

When we went to court in winter, early January, all the Ukrainian women had on gorgeous fur coats. I felt a little out of place with my all weather black trench coat.

Lorelle said...

How exciting ... I've got happy tears in my eyes again!!! What a long journey it's been for you and I knew your perserverence would pay off!!! What a lucky little guy "R" is!!!

Sydney sent pictures to the girls so now it's easier to visualize you with your little guy!!! Thx Syd!!! What a cutey he is!!!

Hope you have a great trip back. Maybe you'll be back in time for Sydney's birthday!!! What a great birthday present for you this year ... lucky girl!!!

We're heading to the lake today but I will be checking on your return date so we can meet your little man ASAP!!

Unknown said...

Okay... you finally made me cry. You've had such an amazing journey. Congrats!

junglemama said...

Congratulations!

Karen said...

Congratulations - I'm so happy for all of you! Take care and have a safe trip home.

Murray and Donna said...

Great to hear that things are moving along so well for you. We arrived today and settled into our apartment. Hope we get to see you here. We'll call soon! All the best in the next 10 days! "R" seems like quite the character.

Kathy and Matt said...

Congrats on your successful court date!

Isn't great when you can look back like you did to March 12 and see how God's plan was so perfect?

Hope your 10 day wait goes quickly for you.

MegRobRegina said...

Hi

I can't tell you how excited and emotional I am. I can't stop the tears. He is so adorable and thanks for the pictures. I can hardly wait to meet this wonderful little man. We are so anxious for you all to come home. This has been quite a journey for all of you--especially Sydney who will no doubt look at life differently from now on.

We send our love and our best wishes. Keep those updates coming and hugs to you all.

Love Meg & Rob

Shelly said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so.... happy for your family.
Lorrie, thank you very much for allowing me to be part of your amazing journey.

Take care, hope to see you soon.
Shelly

Chelsea Herperger said...

Congrats!! that is so exciting! Can't wait to see my new cousin. So does this mean you could be home on the 12th?? (another lucky #12)

ArtworkByRuth said...

Congrats, may your waiting pass quickly! God Bless!