Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Meeting "Our" Little Boy!


Finally we have access to internet again. We had our first overnight trip by train which was a very interesting experience. I completely agree with everyone who has been here before when they say "Pack light keeping in mind you may have to take the train". Even though we did pack light it was still a challenge. Dan slept pretty good on the train, Syd slept some and I slept very little. In the wee hours of the morning, the door to our compartment suddenly opens and there is a man there speaking what I think was Russian. I was just drifting off when he opened the door, so he really startled me. The only thing I could think of to say is "What???" quite loudly. "Y" woke up and just shut the door and relocked it. The important thing is we did survive our first overnight train ride.

From the train station, we went to our new apartment. The outside looked pretty scary but the apartment itself is not bad at all. The best part is that it is half the amount of money per night compared to the first apartment we had. We cleaned up and went to the orphanage. We were all pretty nervous. There was Dan, Syd, "Y", the doctor and me. We first met the orphange director. While we were talking with her, one of the caregivers brought "R" (the little boy) into the room. He didn't look anything like his picture. He is quite small. He started off by reciting a poem. We of course couldn't understand him but we laughed along with everyone else. One of his later poems was something like "I want a mama and if I get a sheep I will name it mama". Pretty creative little guy. Anyway, the doctor worked with him for over an hour, then we went back to play with him the p.m. Everything seems fine so we are proceeding with our application to adopt him. I know we can't officially call him "Our" little boy but soon we will. He is VERY active... but very sweet. I will post again soon. We don't have as easy access to internet as we did before.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think there are enough words to express how happy and excited I am for you guys. And darn it, stop making me cry already!!!! And it's always at work no less. :) We are all praying that the rest of the trip will go by fast and smooth so we can meet this little guy. Lots of hugs, Steph

Anonymous said...

I have the biggest smile on my face! I can feel the joy you must all be experiencing right now. "R" is going to have the best family he's ever dreamed of having. I hope the rest of your journey is as smooth as it started out. Your Angel is with you. Deb

Unknown said...

Great news Lorrie! It sounds like everything is falling into place like it should. I'm so happy for you guys. Keep us posted as to how your visits go with him, I want to hear everything.

Love Rae

Lorelle said...

Couldn't wait to hear how things went with your first meeting! It was the first thing I checked when I got up this morning and I'm so glad things went well for you!! Can't wait to meet him! He is one lucky little guy to be adopted by such a great, loving family! I can just picture the smile on your face and the sparkle in your eyes Lorrie when he read his poem!! Hope the rest of the trip goes smooth for you and you get to enjoy some sites ... maybe see Paul McCartney?!?!? And Dan ... Bob says HI!!!

Debbie Paul said...

Lorrie and Family,
I am so excited that things are moving along so quickly. You have been in my thought since you left. I hope you find great joy in getting to know your new little boy.I am praying that you will be back soon so that we can all get to meet him.
Take best care.
Debbie

Arlene said...

This is all so exciting to follow along your journey. Like Stephanie said its hard to read it at work. My co-workers keep wondering why I'm crying. We hope that the rest of the journey is as rewarding as it has been so far. You are really getting the true Ukrainian experience. Cab drivers and all. These will all be cherrished memories in the future. Can't wait till you get home.
Have a Lvivski for me.
Best wishes Arlene,Les,Ksenya & Bohdan

The Flying Eagle said...

How wonderful! We are so happy for you and will keep your family in our prayers for a speedy process and a safe return home.
Curious what how you went about ascertaining a doctor for the evaluation. We are traveling in Aug and I have only heard of a few folks that brought their own doctors. We would like to and would appreciate any tips. Thanks! Monica & David

Unknown said...

You don't know me but I'm so excited for you guys and find myself praying for ALL the orphans in Ukraine and the families going to bring them home.

I too would like to know more regarding Monica's question, and I hope you'll continue to update as often as you can!

blessings on your family

Mom said...

Hi All
I am so thrilled to know that you have found a little person to bring home with you. I pray that all will go smoothly in the weeks ahead. I cannot wait to meet my new little grandson. Bless you.
Love Mom

Kathy and Matt said...

Congrats on finding your little boy! That is such a wonderful moment!

We adopted a 4 year old girl from Mariupol in February. What town/region are you in?

We look forward to following your journey!

leean said...

Hi Lorrie, Dan and Sydney,
Congratulations on your little boy. Can't wait to meet him. Keeping you in our thoughts and enjoy the rest of the journey. Take lots of pictures. Danna has a question... had any perogies yet??

Penny said...

Penny Said congratulations Lorrie. You must be very excited to see your new addition and a boy. I am so happy for you all. Now you have the million dollar family. Take care and keep us posted. Can hardly wait until you come to the studio and show us your new son.