Thursday, June 19, 2008

Progress is being made

Thank you for all of the heartwarming comments all of you have left. It makes me cry when I read them and I am in a public internet!

I am first going to address the question about the doctor coming to the orphanage. The doctor that we had with us is from Kiev. We found out about him for the FRUA chat board. His name is Dr. Yuri and he was a wonderful person to have along. If you can't find the information on FRUA, email me at wright.lorrie@gmail.com and I will give you contact information. Good luck on your journeys and thank you for following ours.

Well, we have spent the last 3.5 days with "R" and it seems like so much longer. It amazes me how in just 2 hours a day such a strong bond can be created. We go for about one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon. He is such a sweet little boy and is quite funny. He told his caregiver that if she behaves he might take her with him when he leaves. The director of the orphange got quite a kick out of that! Today we were able to take him with us and "Y" to get his picture taken for some of the adoption documents. He was so good and was just awestruck with everything around him. We bought him a Finding Nemo backpack from home and he just loves to strut around with that on. He is very slight so it is nothing to pick him up and hold him. We learned a lesson yesterday... don't give him a banana and 2 juice boxes in the same visit. The first half of the visit was pretty calm but by the second half he was all over the place. Here are the 3 of us all running after him and another couple that is their with their 2 boys are sitting quietly and colouring. "R" does not sit down for too long. He absolutely loves watching video played back on the camera. He is learning a few English words but we have a long way to go.

We moved to a new apartment and it is way better than the last one. I know I said the last one was OK but I was exaggerating. Once again the aromas were abundant. The new place is on the 9th floor of the building... and no, I don't have to take the stairs (I think that might do me in!!). The elevator is really funny. With 4 of us in there it is jam packed and it sounds like it is on its last cable. We laugh every time we get in it. Judy, just think about getting stuck in this one! The apartment is modern and has 1 bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom and fridge, stove and microwave. The view is really nice. We are just waiting for a phone to be put in.

Oh yeah, I named the post making progress and forgot that part. The paperwork is moving along pretty quickly. We already have our application into the courts and hope to have our hearing by the end of next week. I still don't know how long we will be here but so far we haven't hit any roadblocks with paperwork.

One other thing I keep forgetting to mention is that with some of the money that we raised for the orphanage, we will be buying them a computer. This was a request from the director. There are some other things they also need but I am not sure what they are yet. It is a really good orphange; clean, organized and the kids are challenged to do creative things like plays, painting etc. In fact, "R" won some kind of award for his part in a play. One day he was running with his little forearms flapping and we couldn't figure out what he was doing. We ended up finding out that he was a mosquito in the play!

Well I better sign off. Keep the comments coming.

23 comments:

Kevin and Tammy said...

What a blessing to get to enjoy your new son. Enjoy this time. Try to cherish every moment. God is so good to all of us. Hope we have an elevator when we get there. We pray that things will keep moving smoothly for you.

Shawn and Megan Mitchell said...

So exciting! Can you tell us what city you are in? I am so glad you have Dr. Yuri, I have heard such wonderful things and hope to have him help us when we go to Ukraine.

We continue to pray for your journey and can't wait to hear more about this blessed little boy!

Megan (PEI)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll admit I've been pretty choked throughout this journey - but this last blog has finally made me cry. I guess I better get busy and make "R" a little welcome quilt. Thank you so much for sharing with us, Lorrie. I can't wait to meet the little guy. We miss you here at work!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy when I read only good news from you. I wish I could see pictures,as I imagine you all running around chasing "R" after he has had too much juice!!

Your new apartment sounds nice (with the exception of the elevator!) I continue to pray that things keep moving along smoothly for you.

Love Rae

Murray and Donna said...

It's good to hear things are going well for you in Ukraine, and day by day, hour by hour, the bond is developing more with your son-to-be. I love reading your posts, and can't wait until we see you. We leave next Wednes!

Unknown said...

"R" is totally going to fit into your very creative family, but it also sounds like you're going to need to enroll him in a sport so he can use up all his energy! Might I suggest soccer? :) Carol asked me to tell you that she is following the blog, and sends her love and prayers. We all look for the blog as soon as we get to work! Lots of hugs, Steph

Judy E said...

Hi there!!

I guess I have to return the Redbull welcome gift for "R" haha!!He and Ryley will have to play indoor soccer this winter! He sounds like he has such an amazing personality and sense of humor! I will pray to the elevator gods that yours works throughout your entire trip! Take alot of video- he'll love to watch that when he gets older! I have relatives in the countryside over there, so if you see my twin, tell them Judy says hi!
We miss you lots, come home soon!
Luv;
Judy Rob Kaleigh Ryley & Cowboy.

Unknown said...

Little "R" sounds amazing... full of energy and life. I can't wait to meet him. Steph's suggestion of soccer sounds okay... but with those "mosquito moves" down you might want to consider dance/drama.

Lorelle said...

It sounds like "R" has Dan's sense of humor!!! And that is a really good thing!!! I think he's really lucky that he's being adopted by a family like you guys that will give him him the opportunity to get involved in all kinds of good things to use up all that energy!

leean said...

He sounds like he is a sweet little guy. I can just picture him buzzing around being a mosquito and the three of you chasing him. Glad to hear all of the good news. Look forward to reading the next blog!

Karyn Good said...

Hi everyone. You need active. Active keeps you on your toes. Sounds like things are moving along nicely. Can't wait for you to come home.

Jack (aka Karen)

Joanne said...

You know, he could always twirl...that would use up some energy!! Sounds like things are going well. We can't wait to find out more!

Kathy and Matt said...

It sounds like things are going really well.

We also met with Dr Yuri and thought he was wonderful. I'm glad you had such a positive experience as well.

We look forward to reading your future posts!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that the trip is going well. I can imagine it would be quite an adventure. Looking forward to meeting "R" when you get back. He sounds like a lot of fun! Take care.

ArtworkByRuth said...

Sounds so good to hear you settling in to your routine! Taste, see, smell and experience Ukraine so you can help "R" remember when he is older! God Bless!

Terry, Tara and Emma said...

Hi Lorrie!
I sent you an email yesterday regarding our upcoming trip to Donetsk, we will be travelling by train on Monday. Do you know if you got it?
If not, could you please email me at tnt.carter@hotmail.com.
Thanks!

Terry and Tara

MegRobRegina said...

Hi guys.

You sound like you are having quite an adventure. It brings the little hairs on the back of my neck up and tears to my eyes when I read about your activities and especially the little guy and his excitement and wonderment. I bet he just loves Sydney.

I went over to see your mom this morning to help her with an excel problem she was having. Buddy wouldn’t let me leave without him, so guess where he is right now. I can’t get over how much he loves Mickey.

I had a garage sale last weekend and who should be one of my customers but Carla Matteson (spelling???). You may remember she adopted a little girl from Guatamala (I think). What a pretty girl she is and when I told her about your adventure, she was just so excited for you and said to send her best wishes.

We’ve had some nice weather the last few days. Warm, sunny and finally my flowers and plants are taking off.

We think about you a lot and are so happy that things are running somoothly—let’s hope there are no more paperwork gliches. It’ll be fabulous to meet the little guy and it’ll be amazing how quickly he will learn English.

Love to you all. Keep the updates coming and we can hardly wait to meet “R”

Love Meg & Rob

MegRobRegina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MegRobRegina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MegRobRegina said...

Learn Russian On~Line

http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/russian/

http://learnrussian.elanguageschool.net/

Love

Rob

Zack, Jenn and William said...

So excited that you found your son! I'm curious- can you share what city or region/oblast you're in?

Hope all continues to go well. Aren't the elevators an adventure :)

Jessica & Kiara said...

Congrats!! We are so glad to hear that things are going well. We wish your all the best and can't wait to meet your new addition!

junglemama said...

Love to read all of this. We are in Donetsk right now too, but in the city of Kramatorsk. We are adopting a little boy. Just wanted to encourage you that I'm sure you all will fall into a routine pretty soon where things will be much better. :)